The Washington Market Park tennis court — a lit, hard-court surface — is located on Chambers Street on the southwest side of the park close to West Street. The court is open for play from 7 am until midnight daily. Sign-up is daily beginning at 7:00 am with the park staff at the Park House in the northwest corner of the park.
The tennis season lasts from the first Saturday in April to the third Sunday of November. Permits must be purchased with the Department of Parks & Recreation and are good for use until the end of the season. You must show a valid permit in order to sign-up for a time slot.
For Department of Parks & Recreation tennis rules and regulations and permit information click here.
2017 Tennis Clinics
Free clinics are offered during the year for children on the park’s Chambers Street court.
April 24, May 1, 8, 15, 22
4-5pm for children aged 5 and 6 years
5-6pm for children aged 7 and 8 years
Washington Market Park Tennis Court Rules and Regulations
- The sign–up sheet is maintained by park attendants and is kept at the Park House in the northwest corner of the Park, beginning at 7:00 am. To sign up for court time, a player must appear in person at the Park House and present his New York City Tennis Permit to the park attendant. Everyone playing MUST have a New York City Tennis Permit.
- Players are only allowed to sign up for a court time during the current day.
- A player is permitted to use the court only once per day, either 1 hour for singles or 2 consecutive hours for doubles. No exceptions. If you are reserving the court for two consecutive hours (doubles) at least two players with valid NYC Park permits must be present to reserve that time.
- The names of ALL players using the court, and their NYC park permit numbers, must be on the sign-in sheet, whether or not they are present for sign up.
- Please be sure to close and lock the court gate when leaving in order to prevent vandalism. You may obtain the combination to the gate from the park attendant.
- Please be courteous to park staff who must enter the court periodically to maintain the court.
- Do not enter the court during play. Please enter the court only after the previous player’s hour is up, and after play has stopped. Please exit the court as quickly as possible after your hour is up.
- The park attendant may check for valid NYC tennis permits at any time. Please have your permit with you while you are playing.